Andrea J. Shaw, Founder & Managing Partner
As the holidays are upon us, and gatherings to share in the festive season are on the rise, having that perfect recipe to keep in your back pocket is a life saver. This is a favourite quick and easy appetizer from my kitchen that will be sure to please the crowd!
Tuna Sashimi Appetizer
- About 25 wonton wrappers (mandarin brand are best)
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) vegetable oil
- ¾ lb (about 375g) fresh ahi tuna, diced in small cubes
- ¼ cup (60ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15ml) sweet red chili sauce
- 2 tsp (10ml) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15ml) pickled sushi ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) wasabi powder
- 1 tbsp (15ml) tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) toasted sesame seeds
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 2 tbsp (30ml) pickled sushi ginger, chopped
Heat oil in a heavy deep pan over medium heat until hot but not smoking
Drop one wonton wrapper in the oil. If it sizzles and turns golden brown in about a minute the oil is ready. Fry wontons a few at a time, flipping to lightly brown and crisp both sides. Drain on a paper towel.
Combine mayonnaise, chili sauce, sesame oil, green onions, sushi ginger and cilantro in a medium sized bowl.
Whisk together wasabi powder and tamari. Add to mayonnaise mixture.
Add tuna and stir gently to combined.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. To assemble, place a spoonful of tuna mixture on each wonton and garnish with toasted sesame seeds, cilantro sprigs and pickled sushi ginger. Or put the tartare in a pretty bowl surrounded by the crisps and let your guests help themselves.